Tuesday 18 December 2007

One week to go...

Everything is very calm here, we are totally organised. The films are ready to download, the shop is fully functioning. Our meticulously crafted media strategy is running like clockwork. Bring it on!

Actually, now I re-read that carefully, I now see it is a pack of lies. I've had two years to get ready for next week, and it's going down to the wire.

The film isn't encoded yet, hence the website scripts that will run on the servers aren't finished. Much of the time waiting has been spent nervously ringing round media and press types. If we were a proper film company, we'd have the money to employ PR people, who know who all the journos are and can place the story. However, the monthly budget for a real PR company exceeds our total production budget, so that isn't going to happen. I've been reliant on trawling the web and the help of my friend Lyndsay for some leads - to whom go HUGE thanks.

I've discovered that most journalists are already drunk by now in the pre-Christmas haze, and unable to plan one hour ahead, let alone a week ahead. However, there are one or two promising leads, and I'll let you know if anything develops. But all this raises a tricky little problem.

On the one hand, we don't want so much attention that the servers collapse under the load. On the other, we don't one one man and his dog there on launch day either. Right, let's nail my colours to the mast... I'm going to aim for between 200-300 downloads over the first two or three days. And then the idea is that this thing will be a slow burn - as people discover the film, find it's (hopefully) actually better than they thought, and then they can pass on the word, all viral-like.

Anyone wanna place any bets?

No comments: