Friday 21 December 2007

The BBC, and the insanity of it all

I'm not sure I can tell you where the last 48 hours have gone. I remember flashes... I remember standing outside an empty house in Chiswick at night, where I thought my video master disks were (I had the wrong house number), and thinking if I don't break in and find them, I'll never get the film released. There are blurry mental images of tearing up and down stairs between two computers, trying (and failing) to coax them into life uploading files. I remember sending one email every three seconds to the brilliant Robert Geake, who has been writing the scripts for our web servers and has gone way beyond the call of duty (like so many poor souls on this film). And I remember the distinct feeling at one point, that it was all too late, that in the pre-Christmas crush, our film just wasn't going to happen.

But - oh the joy of it - I was wrong. The shopfront works, and in tests the entire movie has downloaded in 15 minutes, which is incredible. The documentary is there too, all is ready to go. And it's Chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiistmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas!

I'm scheduled to appear on BBC Radio 5 Live's Breakfast show on launch day - Friday 28th December at 7.55am (though the time may change - you should also be able to listen later via their Listen Again web service). There's a few other possibilities too, I'll keep you posted.

For now I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone who has got me through the last 48 hours, especially John Godfrey and Sarah Bradley at the brilliant authoring house Meedja, Robert Geake, Paul Blake and my poor, very long suffering family.

Happy Christmas to all! x

No comments: